Friday, February 20, 2009

Ugg

I am now the proud owner of a pair of Uggs. My first pair- black Knightsbridge. They are nice.. and warm.. but not usually overly warm. At the moment I don't regret having them.

However, I am a vegetarian. For health or for the animals? For the animals. Then why do I own boots made out of animals if I do not want to eat them? The short answer is.. it's complicated. The long answer has to do with having mixed feelings about meat eating. 

Do I think in a perfect world that animals shouldn't be eaten? No, not really I guess. I understand there can be benefits to animal consumption. But, I'm very, very against the conditions that I think most meat raised animals live in. Against how they have to live, how they are killed, the disrespect they go through (does that sound weird?), and on and on and on. And of course at this point in my vegetarianism, I can't really imagine eating a dead thing that used to have thoughts, feelings, fears, and happiness. When I see chopped up dead animal carcasses hanging out on shelves at the grocery store I find it almost gory- like it may as well be chopped up people.

No comments:

Post a Comment